Friday, July 25, 2008

Back.

Back to life. Back to reality.

Such a daunting song. It hasnt stopped playing in my head since i crawled out from under the covers yesterday.Despite being daunting, i must say its a much needed reminder.



I'm over the post production tristesse - afterall, as i mentioned in the post before, i know it isnt the end. Yet.



Anyway, i needed to take a break from Chemistry and from the mundane daily cavort with teachers, classmates, friends and pens.After roaming my usual virtual hotspots, i was surprised to find myself rather convinced that facebook and youtube can be quite nauseating if you come back to it after being away for a while ( a while being a week - boy, am i a junkie).


So instead, i decided to do some research on this seminar at Yale that my aunt mentioned she is going to be attending. I found myself very drawn and interested and in all honesty, quite envious that her company is funding the whole trip ( this being just one of the many she constantly goes for). The students at Yale along with over 150 Christian and Muslim leaders ( 9 Jewish guests too, i beleive) are at a workshop closed to press and public called " A common Word" which is a unique lead-up to an open letter published in '07 which centers around the common commitment of both faiths to God and neighbour. A statement from Yale Divinity School says that they beleive " If Muslims and Christians, who together comprise more than half the world’s population, can acknowledge mutual commitment to loving God and loving neighbor the boost to a dynamic and peaceful interdependence in our globalized world would be immense."

Farfetched? Or Revolutionary? Its up to you to decide i guess.

I was just enthralled by the enthusiasm and astounded by the fantastic responses that this workshop is and has been receiving. Not to mention the endorsements from political and religious leaders alike. I wish we have more of these in Singapore. I guess that would be farfetched. Then again, anything is possible. This workshop seems to be an a appreciated glimmer of hope for peace. Amitha and I were just talking there other night about how the prospect of bringing a child into a world so corrupt by our oun selfish and greedy intentions doesnt seem too tempting. Maybe things can change. Maybe they will. Who knows.

Oh well. I better get going. Mum is still out of town. Grr. But im sure she'll be back anytime soon.

Its beck to my Chem TYS. Adieu, adieu. :)

Much love,
farah

No comments: